- CHANCELLOR, UH MANOA
- INTERNATIONAL & EXCHANGE PROGRAMS
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENT SERVICES
Provides secretarial services as a primary work assignment, including minor administrative, clerical and related services, to a program manager or administrator of an organization. As a key staff person, maintains confidentiality and trustworthiness in the work performed. Speaks and acts for the manager or administrator in areas that are delegated to facilitate workflow. Requires an overall awareness of the activities and administrative framework of the organization.
General Clerical Experience: One half (1/2) year of work experience which involved performance of tasks which demonstrated knowledge of English grammar, spelling and arithmetic; and the ability to read and understand oral and written instructions, and speak and write simply and directly.
Specialized Clerical Experience: Two (2) years of progressively responsible typing and substantive clerical work which duties demonstrated possession of, in addition to the knowledge and abilities noted under General Clerical Experience, knowledge of common office appliances and equipment and the ability to carry out procedures in clerical work systems and to perform secretarial tasks including, but not limited to, several of the following: serving as telephone and walk in receptionist; maintaining a system of files; making travel arrangements; composing correspondence; obtaining and presenting information from files; routing correspondence; reviewing outgoing correspondence for format, grammar, spelling and typography; maintaining a log of pending work; etc. and use computers and software applications (e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, databases, etc.).
Certification of eligibles is restricted to those eligibles meeting the qualification requirements of the class, and possessing the ability to type 40 net words per minute.
1. Graduation from high school or equivalent may be substituted for the General Experience.
2. Excess Specialized Experience may be substituted for General Experience.
3. Successful completion of a substantially full-time clerical/office support/business technology curriculum leading to a degree, diploma or certificate at an accredited community college, business or technical school which included courses in English, clerical/office procedures, and mathematics may be substituted for the required Specialized Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester credits of satisfactorily completed course work for six (6) months of Specialized Experience, up to a maximum of one (1) year.
4. Education in a baccalaureate program at an accredited college or university may be substituted for Specialized Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester credits for six (6) months of experience, up to a maximum of one (1) year.
Physical and Medical Requirements
Applicants must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position, effectively and safely, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Internal Complaint Process (Administrative Review)
Applicants who do not agree with an action taken on their application must file an internal complaint with the System Director of Human Resources, in accordance with the University’s Administrative Procedure A9.140. The internal compliant form must be completed and contain the specific reasons(s) supporting the request for review. Complaints must be postmarked within seven (7) working days from the date of notice and sent to: University of Hawai‘i, Office of Human Resources, Civil Service Employee Relations Section, 2440 Campus Road, Administrative Services Bldg. #2, Honolulu, Hawai‘i 96822. A change as a result of the internal complaint will not affect the employment consideration of referred applicants or another applicant’s appointment to the vacancy.