- COLLEGE OF TROPICAL AGRICULTURE & HUMAN RESOURCES
- HAWAII COUNTY
- MONDAY - FRIDAY
- 6:45AM - 3:30PM
Performs a variety of work performance in support of agricultural research projects and/or the conduct of specialized agricultural operations. Provides assistance to researchers in the conduct and completion of all phases of projects in accordance with experimental design involving standardized practices and procedures. May supervise lower level aids as required.
General Experience: One (1) year of work experience in the operation of a farm or related agricultural laboratory or industry which provided exposure to basic agricultural/farm activities. This experience must demonstrate that the applicant possesses knowledge of basic farming methods, routine agricultural work operations and processes; and the ability to use standard agricultural tools and equipment, perform manual and repetitive work, understand and follow oral and written instructions, and perform arithmetic computations.
Examples of qualifying general experience are planting and harvesting pineapples, controlling weeds among growing crops, caring for plants in a nursery (watering, weeding, fertilizing, transplanting); or laboratory studies of plant diseases.
Specialized Experience: Two (2) years of non professional or technical work experience performing agricultural activities in situations involving recordation, comparison, evaluation, experimentation and drawing of conclusions from data; and which provides the applicant with an appreciation of precision research work methods.
This experience must demonstrate that the applicant possesses the ability to perform arithmetic calculations, record data and recognize diseased plants; and knowledge of experimental design requirements and farming methods in the form of two or more of the following crop propagation; care of farm animals and poultry; safety precautions and use of fertilizers, insecticides or herbicides; care and use of pastures; care of farm tools and equipment.
Applicants must possess a valid license to drive in the State of Hawai‘i.
Applicants must have the ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds and the ability to assist lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 100 pounds.
Substitution of Education for General and/or Specialized Experience:
1. Successful completion of study at an accredited four-year college or university in the field of agriculture may be substituted for experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester credit hours for six (6) months of experience, provided that the coursework included at least six (6) semester credit hours in agricultural or related courses, of which three (3) credits must have been in plant/crop propagation or livestock production. The coursework may be substituted for up to a maximum of one (1) year of General Experience and three (3) years of Specialized Experience.
2. Successful completion of an agricultural curriculum leading to an Associate in Science degree or a Certificate of Achievement from an accredited community college may be substituted on the basis of fifteen (15) semester credit hours for six (6) months of experience, provided that the coursework included at least six (6) semester credit hours in agricultural or related courses, of which three (3) credits must have been in plant/crop propagation or livestock production. The coursework may be substituted for up to a maximum of one (1) year of General Experience and one (1) year of Specialized Experience.
3. A Certificate of Completion (at least twelve semester credit hours) in agriculture, or a closely related field, from an accredited community college may be substituted for six (6) months of General Experience.
4. Successful completion of a farm practicum which provided one semester of on-the-job vocational/technical competencies in agricultural activities supplemented by six (6) semester credit hours of coursework in crop propagation, soil technology, livestock/animal sciences, or related agricultural subjects may be substituted for six (6) months of either General or Specialized Experience.
5. Excess Specialized Experience of the type and quality described may be substituted for the required General Experience on a year-for-year basis.
Physical and Medical Requirements
Applicants must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position, effectively and safely, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Internal Complaint Process (Administrative Review)
Applicants who do not agree with an action taken on their application must file an internal complaint with the System Director of Human Resources, in accordance with the University’s Administrative Procedure A9.140. The internal compliant form must be completed and contain the specific reasons(s) supporting the request for review. Complaints must be postmarked within seven (7) working days from the date of notice and sent to: University of Hawai‘i, Office of Human Resources, Civil Service Employee Relations Section, 2440 Campus Road, Administrative Services Bldg. #2, Honolulu, Hawai‘i 96822. A change as a result of the internal complaint will not affect the employment consideration of referred applicants or another applicant’s appointment to the vacancy.